Tuesday 21 August 2012

006

If this was a Friends episode, it would probably be entitled "The One With The Rant". I like a good rant/moan. Most people who know me know this. It's even on my Twitter bio. But I was determined to not moan about Singapore, but it's got to the point, nearly 3 weeks in and at 00.30am that all I want to do is moan.

Now I love the freedom that Singapore brings me - the different types of food, shopping, chance to explore different cultures and travel, amongst other things. And despite trying to prepare myself, I didn't think it would be this difficult to get a job. I genuinely convinced myself that it might be a bit easier as I already have a work visa in place - no red tape or having to apply for stuff, I can just rock up & start work. But no, countless applications in and literally one reply. It was ridiculous how excited I was to actually get a rejection email - this is how bad the contact is.

Yes, I do get to lie in, sunbathe, swim, explore, meet friends and generally do what I want most of the time. But this comes with the backdrop of not having the security of knowing your next pay packet will drop into your account at the end of the month and the general feeling of laziness/unemployed guilt. After two months off work, I'm dying for the opportunity to have routine in my life, something to do and a feeling that I'm progressing. The only thing that's progressing so far here is my tan and my frustration at not working! 

Of course there's probably more I could be doing and I'm trying to not get to disheartened about it all, as that just puts off actually applying and can become a bit of a Catch 22. Speaking to other "trailing spouses", they are in similar positions, albeit without a visa in place - although they do have much more experience than I. 

So this week, the CV is being updated, re-hashed, extended and aimed to more of a Singaporean job market. I'm spending part of my birthday weekend going to a career's fair and I'll call some recruitment agencies rather than email them. Plus another fifty or so tailored & detailed application. And if I still can't find a job...then at least I'll have a decent tan.

Nade x

No comments:

Post a Comment